Friday 2 August 2013

Chemo Round Two - Complete Knock out!


So today was my second round of Chemo and it went very well (Here’s the Science bit!)

·         White Blood Count at 7.2 was better than before I first started – result

·         Haemoglobin was 13.2 – result

·         Oxygen level 97 out of 100 – result

·         Blood pressure normal

·         Bloody hard to get the cannula in on account I have poor veins in hands and after the third attempt and a fair bit of swearing from me and deep breaths the nurse did get it in fair play

·         So the chemo commenced

It was a long day as you have to wait for the chemo cocktail to be made to your specification from height and weight, after all the above information has been cleared so there is endless waiting around, bad enough for the patient but very tiring for poor Jo.

Also she had to run with me to the loo every 15 minutes due to the amount of liquid you drink or have put through your body and help me take my pants down, on account it’s difficult when you have a cannula in your hand.  Sisters do this for each other in times of need but all I will say is thank goodness I have the ‘bastard cancer’ and not Jo.  Not just because I love her and would take it 100,000 times over than see her with it, but, also because I am the sister who would struggle with that and she is the caring one between us. As most of the patients in the ward today were men with prostate ‘bastard cancer’ they maybe thought I was a man in drag the amount of times I went. Particularly the one in the cubical next to the loo who kept saying ‘not you again!’

We had a giggle, but there are many giggles to be had in the cancer unit, people are bloody brave, bloody marvellous and there is a positive upbeat aura in the unit.

Anyway I thought I would sum it up from Jo’s perspective in a parody of the classic ‘Twelve days of Christmas’ It needs work but you will get the idea and I know you will all be singing it on our behalf as you read it!

Six Half Hours of Chemo! (To the tune of 12 days of Christmas) dedicated to my brilliant and supportive sister Jo x

 (To the tune of 12 days of Christmas)

On the first half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

A positive mind and a giggle from you & me

On the second half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!

On the third half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

Drink lots of water, Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!

On the fourth half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

Stop bloody moaning, Drink lots of water, Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!

On the fifth half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

Shut the f**k up please,    (it’s the steroids make me hyper!)

Stop bloody moaning, Drink lots of water, Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!  

On the sixth half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

Cold cap really suits you but,

Shut the f**k up Please,

Stop bloody moaning, Drink lots of water, Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!

On the seventh half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

What’s with all the peeing, Cold cap really suits you but,

Shut the f**k up Please,

Stop bloody moaning, Drink lots of water, Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!

On the eighth half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

The nurses think you’re crazy, what’s with all the peeing, Cold cap really suits you but,  

Shut the f**k up Please,

Stop bloody moaning, Drink lots of water, Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!  

On the ninth half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

I’m not your bloody servant, The nurses think you’re crazy, what’s with all the peeing, Cold cap really suits you but,  

Shut the f**k up Please,

Stop bloody moaning, Drink lots of water, Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!  

On the tenth half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

More tea and biscuits, I’m not your bloody servant, The nurses think you’re crazy, what’s with all the peeing, Cold cap really suits you but,  

Shut the f**k up Please,

Stop bloody moaning, Drink lots of water, Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!  

 

On the eleventh half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

Thank F**k it’s  nearly over, More tea and biscuits, I’m not your bloody servant, The nurses think you’re crazy, What’s with all the peeing, Cold cap really suits you but,  

Shut the f**k up Please,

Stop bloody moaning, Drink lots of water, Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!  

 

On the twelfth half hour of chemo my sister said to me:

We can beat this Wendy, Thank F**k it’s  nearly over, More tea and biscuits, I’m not your bloody servant, The nurses think you’re crazy, What’s with all the peeing, Cold cap really suits you but,  

Shut the f**k up Please,

Stop bloody moaning, Drink lots of water, Eat organic grapes and A positive mind and giggle from you and me!  

My ‘Bastard Cancer’ Round 2 – Knocked out!

 Finally I have put two pictures up, of me in the cancer unit today, one of which is me in the cold cap designed to stop your hair falling out. The other which Jo protests is near the knuckle for some of you, so I apologise and say look away now. But what I wanted to show was how the chemo is administered and give you the honest version which frankly is not that bad.











finally thanks to my brilliant neighbour jan who tidied up

No comments:

Post a Comment