Friday 9 August 2013

Chemo Round Two - Day 8 - Life is a Journey, not a Destination!


Life is a Journey not a Destination!

Today’s the Day!

Right that’s it, today is the day I am going to feel better again, I have decided I do not want to feel sickly anymore days, enough is enough. “Bastard Cancer” is closely followed by “Bastard Chemo”.

Sorry I have not written a blog for the past few days there has been nothing really to tell you that is in the least bit inspirational, funny, educational or just informative.

What has happened is that following my second chemo, which, for the first few days I feel as though I am on top of the world and master of the universe, I now realise that like last time the pattern is that days 4 through to 7 is the time when I feel really crappy, 4 complete days out of your life however, is nothing in the grand scheme of things.  Now I have gone through two cycles of this I have no excuses for not managing it better next time but it is not easy to manage when you are in it.

I have to admit I don’t think I paid enough attention to the emergency anti-sickness tablets as I mentioned in the last blog and this is something I need to manage better for next time (OK Jo pipe down!) and I struggled to drink as much fluid on account that the taste in my mouth resembles a rusty old lead pipe (Yuk!)

The main feelings over the past 4 days have been:

·        Low energy – unbelievable feeling of almost watching myself from above in slow motion, just staring into space

·         Complete opposite ends of scale of feeling hungry to the point of I would kill someone to eat anything salty or feeling so sickly that I can’t stomach anything, these can actually reverse within  minutes so really hard to control

·         Feeling wide awake one minute to nodding off in a nano second whilst I am speaking to someone (some might say they need to be more entertaining whilst I am in this mode!!)

·         Cramps in my stomach that are painful and just constant but bearable

·         Feeling I can’t wait for night so I can go to bed and then when I am in bed feeling I can’t wait for the morning so I can get up (restless and anxious)

·         Vivid dreams, weird dreams the like of which I have never experienced but that only appear to last a couple of minutes  before I am awake again (although this is giving me a potential new career in horror short stories as BOOM there are some juicy and gory ones!)

·         Involuntary shaking that takes hold of my body whilst I am asleep and wakes me up. (I have chosen to believe this is my mother again with her “GET A BLOODY GRIP WENDY!” efforts.

·         Running to the loo in the night at hour intervals which last time around I put down to celery-gate and now I am wondering if it is just the toxic chemo leaving my body

·         Paranoia – I have started to question every ache, every involuntary movement

·         Aggressive – Who would have thought me aggressive! (Sorry Jo and Tee and my boss who all experienced it this week) GRRRRR.

GOING FORWARD ACTIONS:

·         Understand this is the norm and accept it but manage it

·         Find some nice things to put in my diary and concentrate on the end goal (I am already a quarter of the way through six more sessions to go)

·         Walk more – I have never been a walker but now is the time to get off my backside

·         Be nicer to Jo – sorry Jo x

·         Think about my journey and how I want to play it, what places I want to see, what life I want to live, who I want to be on that journey with.

 

The last few days are a blip, they have gone Wendy is now back in the room and I am as  forward looking as ever  in completing my Journey, of kicking the the ass out of my "Bastard Cancer".

Love Wendy J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment