Sunday 4 August 2013

Chemo Round Two, Day Three: Carry on Cycling! - A good laugh and a long sleep is the best cure for anything.

Day Three - post second chemo

I woke up feeling very queasy but did manage a better night sleep.  We decided to go on a bike ride and so the saga began!

Jo and I had a good healthy breakfast as I am constantly starving again because of the steroids and as hyper as a rabid dog and apparently according to Jo as equally as aggressive as one!  (Sorry Jo!) RAhhhhh!

Anyway, bugger the "bastard cancer" bugger the "chemo side effects" Lets get on our bikes and roll with the wind!  That was how we felt at 9.30 and ready to ride, this then is what happened next:

9.30am - showered, breakfast, cycling gear on, bikes out ready to go
9.35am - John, Jan's husband comes across ready to join us
9.40am - John decides he is doing his own route and not coming with us today
9.50am - John decides he is coming with us and we load mine and his bike into the back of one of his three estate cars parked on his drive, Jo is all the time sitting in her car waiting for us to leave.
10am- I say to John "do you think you better change out of your trousers and into your cycling shorts and shoes before we go"- "oh yea" he says and disappears into the house for another 10 mins
10.10am - John comes out of the house and says "oh f**k, I can't find my keys to the car", he searches for another 20 mins with Janet tearing her hair out and then decides we should unload the bikes out of the car and into another estate.
10.30 am - We get in the car to hear a holler from Jo, just need to go to the loo, so in she goes only to come back about another ten minutes later as by this time she needs to go through her routine of locking back up my house and checking everything is in order.
10.45 am-  hooray we are finally on our way. 
1l.00 am - We park up near the river Trent on our way for an enjoyable jaunt down to the National Water Centre a couple of miles away which you can do laps around.
11.10  am - Jo hollers, "wait" and gets a bloody puncture

Now I want you to picture the scene: the three of us stopping to discuss how we are going to mend a puncture without any tools.  John takes the lead, Jo, by this time is having an asthma attack on the floor, and I am hyper mode giving her grief about why she has come out without any tools, bear in mind that don't have any myself of course, neither does John and in fact at least Jo does have a spare inner tube yey!  John also decides it wold be interesting to blow up the burst inner tube to see what has happened to it as he found it fascintaing (yawn, its a man's thing!) We are eventually rescued by various passers by who must have thought we were a  and we eventually get on our way.

We eventually get to the National Water Centre and do a couple of laps before we head back along the river to the cars. The wind was so bad that poor Jo's asthma kicks in to the point that we have to keep stopping and we tell John to ride on ahead of us back to the cars.  John however decides to completely ignore the route and by the time we get back to the cars he is not in sight.  Now we are in trouble as I want to pee so badly that Paula Radcliff  springs to mind and I am one second away of peeing in a public street. Oh lord!  An ambulance goes by on full alert and we think that John has probably had a bloody heart attack as he is still nowhere in sight.  A good 20 mins later John comes tootling down the road saying he decided to go and have a look at Notts Forest from the Trent before finally admitting he just got bloody lost!  

I would just like to remind everyone that I am meant to be the diva, I am the one with bastard cancer, I am the one who has just had chemo, and when we get back to the house I try to convince Jo to take some of my steroids but she is having none of it!!  John then finds the keys to the original car under the visa.

When we get back to the house I am so traumatised I go to bed and fall into the best sleep I have had in ages, the wind and air clearly doing me some good.

indeed


 Finally the education and science bit - Keep checking girlfriends!  courtesy of cousin Deborah! x

Love Wendy x

No comments:

Post a Comment