Wednesday 10 July 2013

Part One - The news no woman wants to hear.


It’s been two weeks since I was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer and my world started to change.

Change can be good and I intend to make it good. I am 50 years of age, live in Nottingham in the UK, lead a busy and hectic life mainly centred around work, work, work, some might say too much. I am single, have no children and although have many many dear friends my sister Jo is my best friend in the world.

I want to share my journey with you as if it helps create awareness and inform other women to react and examine their breasts carefully then I think it will help me get through this.

So, here goes:

About 4 weeks ago I noticed a change in my breast, not a lump, more a thickening of the skin. I went to my Dr who took a look and said and I quote “you have heavy breasts its water retention come back in 3 weeks." I waited a couple of days by which time the skin had dimpled and started to turn red a bit like sun burn. I decided to go back saw another female Dr who took one look, sent me straight to a breast consultant and the journey begins from here:

Diagnosis: grade 2 stage 3 inflammatory cancer diagnosed on Thursday 27th June 2013 - in shock for about 2 days then something great happened; I entered into what I am calling my 'Warrior Mode' Fight, fight, and fight. This won't beat me, I am strong, I am focussed and I am facing a new future at the end of a long road.

Prognosis: It’s treatable: 6 months of chemo, mastectomy, 6 months of radiotherapy and finally a rebuild

Inflammatory cancer is a rare form of breast cancer, one out of eight women get breast cancer, frightening and 5% of these have inflammatory, its aggressive moves fast already in my lymph nodes but not in my organs or my bones, I have caught it as early as you can for this type of cancer.

On Monday 8th July I had my first round of Chemo which lasted for a couple of hours where the nurses made me laugh the whole way through. Wore a cold cap to prevent hair loss a sort of heavy boxers cap filled with a gel cooled to -25 (I will keep you posted on if it works and I get to keep my hair) However, just in case I have already bought 3 wigs in different colours and I intend to keep glamour and lipstick at the forefront of every session!) Day 2 following chemo, no real side affects to tell you about other than a bit queasy in fact I feel quite hyper. I am still working from home, trying to eat more sensibly but hey that's another story! One that has plagued me my whole life.

Since I have started to tell people I have heard so many wonderful stories that I feel hope, sadness, humour and above all courage from women, some of whom I have not met, some who I have known but never knew about their journey and so my goal is to spread news, inform, educate and generally share these moments with so many brave women. I am lucky, a wonderful sister, my step daugheter Jenny and my supportive family and many dear friends and colleagues who are right behind me and this will not beat me. It’s just one of life’s curved balls that are thrown at you now and again.

I am not a good writer but I can write from the heart, so please share my blog and let’s make it a place where we share laughter, love and stories, but mostly promote this terrible bastard CANCER that affects so many, so that diagnosis comes more early (sorry it will happen a lot me swearing!)

Two years ago I did a charity cycle around china which was the hardest challenge up to that point I had ever had, 60 miles a day for 5 days all up mountains, I was due to do another in Sri Lanka this September, sadly I will not be able to go swapping for a different challenge instead. However the charity was the wonderful Genesis Research Trust which is founded by Professor Winston and is aimed at women for women and the many health issues they face, cancer being just one. My many friends who are doing it again this year will be doing it for me and I will be with them every step of the way as they will be with me on my journey. (genesisresearchtrust.com)

So please join in and send me your thoughts as I embark on my journey.

Love Wendy x

 

9 comments:

  1. A patient can pre determine their outcome simply by positivity, mindfulness and determination. Whilst I was on shift the other day I was thinking that instead of treating cancer as if it’s a battle, it could be seen like a game of football. The coin toss determines who randomly is selected to play the game of cancer. Then once the realisation of losing the coin toss sinks in then 'kick off' of treatment commences. This is when the play of the game starts...the important part is to keep your head up, constantly looking forward and aim for the goal ahead. It is always always possible to score a goal to win the game in football even when faced with the most strong and aggressive team. The players that achieve this are the ones that have the most strength, determination and courage!! I know you can win this game as you have already proven to me how strong you were for me, mum and luce. We are here for you whenever and a spa day is definitely on the cards! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica what a great analogy, you are going to be a great and thoughtful paramedic I am so proud of you and Jack would be too xxxxx

      Delete
  2. Oh Wendy, I am shocked and so upset about your news. You have such a positive and open attitude about your cancer diagnosis that I don't have that "helpless" feeling because you are so "up" and willing to share your story; lease, please, please keep writing your blog; I will share your blog whenever possible with ladies on this side of the pond. You are lucky to have such a loving, understanding and caring sister who will take magnificent care of you and provide you with plenty of laughs and love on your journey! BTW: your writing is beautiful and so are you! Love and many, many X's and O's! Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia, thank you so much for your thoughts, don't be upset, I can handle it, sometimes you just have to deal with difficult situations that come your way. I am really pleased to have met with you recently it was like I had known you for years and we had such a nice time that day. Keep in touch I need as many strong women around me now as I can get.xx

      Delete
  3. Wendy..I'm a friend of Deb s...you can do this I'm just coming out the end of my wee battle..I was diagnosed last year..stay strong...stay positive..surround yourself with people that will be spurring you on..and kick your ass ..when needed..sending big hugs ..and positivity x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you Deb has told me of your amazing story and it is inspiring as you only tend to hear of the negatives in the news, this is why I wanted to write this blog. Well done you so happy you are coming out the other side xx

      Delete
  4. Wow Wendy, what a horrible shock :( Your blog is a fantastic way to tell everyone how you are doing, near and far, past and present, anyone that has ever met you will be wanting to wish you well. If it encourages even one person to check themselves or to not be afraid to go to the doctors about any changes they find then its an amazing thing, and if this blog helps you on your own personal journey with support from all over then that will be amazing too. keep fighting! kick ass and cancer can get lost! too many wonderful people having to go through this vile illness :( lots of love, Sara ( Thorp) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, good to hear from you, thank you so much for your kind comments they are going to keep me going and are reminding myself what great networks I have built throughout my life. I will beat it and its just a moment in time xxxxx Keep in touch love Wendy x

      Delete
  5. I will get the hang of this blogging soon everyone bear with me

    ReplyDelete