Sunday 21 July 2013

Week 3- Post First Chemo - I am Cinderella and I shall go to the ball!

well it had to happen!

My inability with tech has finally caught up with me.  Laptop crashed then could not remember password of google account which has meant I could not access the blogging admin.  Result is I have spent the last two hours trying to recover it.  However, here I am at last (and I can't even blame being blond anymore!)

So today has been fairly low key in that I waved goodbye to Jenny and Jo and had the rest of the day to contemplate what was next.

About 9pm tonight I got a phone call from someone I use to work with and became close to about 20 years ago.  She had somehow got hold of my blog and had spent the week trying to track me down.  She explained to me that she developed cancer of the colon about 9 years ago, stage 4 and had secondaries in her liver.  She had 32 rounds of chemo, over a three year period had various operations and at her diagnosis was told she only had 6 months to live.  she just wanted to let me know I can beat it, and the most important thing is to look at it as an opportunity to make some life changes.  I was so inspired by her story and her fight.  She also explained the benefit of eating organically something she did from day one of her diagnosis.  "Don't look back" she said "Just look forward"  Crack open a bottle of organic wine which she told me you could buy and also eat red grapes during your next chemo session.  Cheers Mrs S - bloody brilliant to hear from you x

I feel so lucky to have so many people come forward and tell me their stories of courage and of winning in the face of adversity.

I am reminded that if Cinderella had gone back and picked up her own shoe she never would have been a princess!  I have always wanted to be a princess.  Some might say I have always been a princess, on account I like to get my own way!  This is one time I am definitely going to get my way and I will make no bones about it.  My prince charming is my future, My ugly sisters are my "bastard cancer" and we all know how that story ends!  I shall be at the ball dancing my feet off, living life to the max!

I am returning to work in the morning, seeing colleagues and bosses for the first time since I announced my diagnosis.  I am not a victim, I hope they will respect that, if they don't they soon will.  I can't wait to see everyone and just get stuck in to the week ahead.  Never thought I would say this but I have really missed the normality and interactivity of work.

Let you know how it goes.

Love Wendy x

No comments:

Post a Comment