Sunday 28 July 2013

Week Four - After first Chemo - "One on One!"


I woke up this morning you will all be pleased to know with a positive mental attitude having had a strong word with myself late last night!

My neighbour Jan who I have spoken about previously had offered the use of her husband for the morning purely for cycling purposes you understand, so I thought why not it’s about time you got of your backside and resumed your fitness plan.  Poor John clearly had not understood this and no doubt would have preferred to chill out but fair play he agreed to it and off we went.

I have not ridden my bike since my diagnosis, AND  to be fair thought I had a pretty good excuse really, but, when push comes to shove there really is no reason why I can’t be active.  In fact most reports say active is good. It would just be an excuse to say "I have bastard cancer so I can't do anything and want to be a couch potato." 

We had a lovely eighteen mile ride stopping mid-way at an Italian Bistro on the River Trent for bruschetta and sparkling water with the sun beaming down on us, reminding me how great it is to feel alive when you are enjoying the sheer physicality of a good cycle ride.

Coming back was up hill!  I managed to ride all the way up on a steep couple of miles hill, remembering the solid advice of good friend Aly Stewart who was like St Teresa on Cycle China and kept us all going. “One and one ladies” she would shout encouraging those of us at the back, “one on one!”  Of course she was talking about one pedal at a time don’t look up. Bear in mind that two years ago ‘one on one’ would last for sometimes twenty five miles as we painfully cycled towards the Great Wall of China, so a couple of miles hill out of the eighteen today was a doddle. 

I pondered as I was cycling and thought as an analogy ‘one on one’ is a good way to approach the eighteen months of treatment I was stressing about yesterday.  One day at a time, ‘one on one’ until I reach the top of my own hill to climb.  Ally’s words and support with me every step of the way. (Thanks Ally J xx)

This afternoon when I got back I felt the best I have in days, the sort of knackered that comes from a great workout or cycle ride.  Good tired, and I know I will sleep tonight.  But like all my bike rides I have rosy cheeks, both sets, a healthy glow and a sore backside, wrists that ache and legs that have stiffened to the point of old biddy status!  20% of the weight is on the pedals and 30% is on the hands and 150% is on the saddle!

 

But tonight Matthew……

I FEEL GOOD DE DE DE DE DE DE DE DE.  I KNEW THAT I WOULD NOW

I FEEEEEL GOOD DE DE DE DE DE! I KNEW THAT I WOULD NOW

SO GOOD, SO GOOD

THAT I GOT YOU (LOT!)

BETTER DAY “ONE ON ONE” (Dedicated to my good pal Aly Stewart)

LOVE WENDY J X

No comments:

Post a Comment