Thursday 18 July 2013

Week Two - Post Chemo - Critical Illness Cover? I'll not need that but pass the pork scratchings please!


 
Today I am going to write about what happens if?

So we have all been ripped off for PPI or insurance for if you lose your job, insurance for critical illness, life cover etc.

Well folks this was me:

Job loss cover:

I don’t need job loss cover because even if that did happen I know I am the sort of person to get a job immediately and just move on.  I won’t sign on ever, which is what you have to do to claim it.  Not for any other reason other than I believe I will always be employable so it’s a waste of money.

Critical Illness Cover:

I would have liked to take this seriously as at the diagnosis stage this means you are secure in that your mortgage is either paid monthly or in some cover the mortgage is paid off outright.  Unfortunately I did not take this and the consequences are if I cannot work due to illness I am in trouble.  I tell you this because if you don’t have it, then it is the one insurance that I think is worth the money.  So why did an intelligent woman and I like to think I am fairly bright not take critical illness cover?  Well for every stone you are overweight there is a high premium to pay and in my case this would have meant the cover for me would have been about £500 per month.   Lesson learned I should have paid it.  If you can afford it do it as the last thing you need is the worry of financial problems on top of the bastard cancer!

However in every cloud there is a silver lining.  I have had this week an offer on my property abroad which I have been trying to sell for four years.  This will mean if I cannot work I am secure which takes the pressure off immensely.  I have had many happy holidays but it’s time to move on and secure my future in the UK.

So the rest of the day was spent finding documents like divorce papers and deeds etc and was quite stressful, so much so that I forgot to eat and drink something when you are on chemo it’s really important not to do.  On top of that I had to jump in my car, hot foot it over to a solicitor to organise Power of Attorney and manage a business remotely.  So by the time I had completed this stressful day it was 4.30 and I was feeling dreadful, hot, dehydrated and generally gasping.

Imagine the picture; I was driving home, feeling melancholy, bit low, end of an era, when I see a farm shop in the distance in the middle of nowhere.  I pull in and felt it was like a mirage in the desert.  I was surrounded by plump organic produce of every description.  Fresh strawberries, crisp lettuce, earthy new potatoes, fresh organic eggs and meat, home- made meringues bursting out of old fashioned brown paper parcels, scotch eggs, creamy rich stilton etc.  So what do I do?  I spot a packet of ‘organic pork scratchings’ and a bottle of ‘organic dandelion and burdock pop’ and convince myself that it is acceptable to nail them in five minutes flat because (a) I needed to drink and eat and (b) I needed to replenish salt from sweating like a p.i.g all day!  Now I really didn’t know you could get organic pork scratching but let me tell you that I ate so much of them that I am in danger of turning into Miss Piggy tonight!    Delicious, plump, salty, no sign of any hairs, juicy and breathtakingly mouth watering.  As for the D&B it was every bit as fantastic as I remember drinking it as a child.  End result:  Aghhhhhh that’s better Oink Oink!   

I have Jo and Jenny arriving tonight: sister and step daughter so I know it’s going to be a fab weekend, a girlie weekend of laughs, love, reminiscing and of course shopping!

 

I am going to end on an educational note.

Keep learning, keep checking, keep smiling – Knowledge is Power!
love Wendy x :)

 Breast cancer Key Facts

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/cancerstats/keyfacts/breast-cancer/cancerstats-key-facts-on-breast-cancer

 How common is breast cancer?

·         Breast cancer is the most common cancer in the UK.

·         The lifetime risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer is 1 in 8 for women in the UK.

·         In the UK in 2010 more than 49,500 women were diagnosed with breast cancer, that’s around 136 women a day.

·         Around 400 men in the UK were diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010.



·         Around 8 in 10 breast cancers are diagnosed in women aged 50 and over.

·         In the UK in financial year 2009/10 the NHS breast screening programmes detected around 16,500 cases of breast cancer.

·         In the European Union (EU-27) more than 332,000 new cases of breast cancer were diagnosed in 2008.


 

How many people survive breast cancer?

·         Breast cancer survival rates have been improving for forty years. More women are surviving breast cancer than ever before.

·         In the 1970s around 5 out of 10 women with breast cancer survived the disease beyond five years. Now it's more than 8 out of 10.

·         Women diagnosed with breast cancer are now twice as likely to survive their disease for at least ten years than those diagnosed forty years ago.

·         More than three-quarters of women diagnosed with breast cancer now survive their disease for at least ten years or more.

·         Almost 2 out of 3 women with breast cancer now survive their disease beyond 20 years.

·         More than 90% of women diagnosed with breast cancer at the earliest stage survive their disease for at least five years. This figure is around 15% for those women who are diagnosed with the most advanced stage disease.

 

How many people die from breast cancer?

·         In 2010 in the UK around 11,600 women died from breast cancer, that's around 32 every day.

·         Around 75 men died from breast cancer in the UK in 2010.

·         In 2010 in the UK around 1,200 deaths from breast cancer occurred in women aged under 50.

·         Since peaking in the late 1980s breast cancer death rates have fallen by almost 40% in the UK.


·         In the UK breast cancer is now the second most common cause of death from cancer in women after lung cancer.

·         More than half of breast cancer deaths in the UK are in women aged over 70.

·         In the European Union (EU-27), around 89,800 women died from breast cancer in 2008.

·         Worldwide it is estimated that more than 459,000 women died from breast cancer in 2008.

 

What causes breast cancer?

·         Mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes increase breast cancer risk, although these gene faults are rare and account for a small proportion of cases.

·         Women with a mother, sister or daughter diagnosed with breast cancer have almost double the risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer themselves.

·         Risk increases with the number of first-degree relatives diagnosed with breast cancer, but even so, eight out of nine breast cancers occur in women without a family history of breast cancer.

·         Being obese increases risk of postmenopausal breast cancer by up to 30%.

·         Around 9% of cases of breast cancer in the UK are linked to excess bodyweight.

·         Women currently using hormone replacement therapy (HRT) have a 66% increased risk of breast cancer.

·         Use of HRT has fallen in the UK in recent years, although around 3% of breast cancer cases in the UK each year are linked to its use.

·         The risk of breast cancer in current users of oral contraceptives (OC) is increased by around a quarter but only 1% of all the breast cancer cases in the UK each year are linked to OC use.

·         Drinking moderate amounts of alcohol increases the risk of breast cancer - and risk increases the more someone drinks. Around 3,100 cases of breast cancer in the UK each year are linked to alcohol consumption.

·         A more active lifestyle reduces breast cancer risk. Around 1,700 cases of breast cancer in the UK each year are linked to being physically inactive.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment