Thursday 25 July 2013

Week three - After First Chemo- Beating the energy slump without Sugar!

I have completed a 4 day full on, manic (but that's normal!) week at work and I am trying to sum up how I feel!

For the most part good because it gave me something else to focus on and a week at where I work is full on to say the least.

I do feel exhausted tonight but so would anyone returning to work after a couple of weeks off in this heat but I can't avoid the fact that I am getting a massive energy slump at approximately 3pm every day which today got the better of me.  (I did not quite fall asleep at my desk but could feel every ounce of energy drain straight into my legs which became heavier and heavier as the afternoon wore on.

I have got home, had a quick shower and do feel 100% better but started looking at ways to boost energy for those of us in a desk job or doing a lot of driving.

Desk stretches !!!! all together now...

  • Link your hands, push your arms out in front of you and then raise them above your head.
  • Lift your shoulders up towards your ears and gently roll them backwards.
  • Extend your legs in front of you and point and flex your toes.
  • Hug your knees, one at a time, towards your chest.

Now here's the thing, I am probably going to be ok with the first three, but hugging my knees not a chance as have not seen them for years!

So there is much debate with regards to exercise and if it is good for cancer patients and the overall evidence suggests that a light resistance and aerobic work out is good to maintain well-being (see below article)  so I cannot pull the big C excuse!!   In reality I don't want to because as you are all aware by now my 'Bastard Cancer' is going to be knocked out first round!  I always did love a bit of boxing!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2012-rst/7202.html
 It has been known for some time that exercise is important for cancer patients, but few studies have looked at the practicality of exercise programs and whether even a minimal workout can help. Exercise can reduce cancer-related fatigue, improve sleep, boost a sense of wellness, and reduce the recurrence of certain types of tumour's. A Mayo Clinic study published in the Journal of Pain and Symptom Management found that a brief, at-home exercise program — dubbed the Rapid, Easy, Strength Training program, or REST, — was sufficient to increase cancer patients' mobility and reduce fatigue.

As I said in my last blog breaking the habit of being Wendy is a much bigger fight than any 'bastard cancer' but my cousin D posted this poster to me today.  D like me is direct, honest and has the same family issues of allowing food to control us but has so much drive and energy that she just has amazing stamina to just push past it.  Out of the list below I suffer from 4 of them.  Just when do you think I will learn my lesson?

Note to Self and in my mother's words:  Get a f**king grip Wendy and improve your health!

Love Wendy x


No comments:

Post a Comment