Saturday 20 July 2013

Week Two - After Chemo: Enjoying the weekend


I did not get to blog last night because I have Jenny and Joanne staying with me for the weekend and we decided to opt for a night on the town!  Well actually it was more of a night at the local Mexican restaurant with my  friend T as well but we all enjoyed it.  We then carried on partying in the garden catching up on old times and having a giggle.  The three most important people in my life what more could a girl want.

If being with people you love was a medicine then I can tell you that this would be the best healer of all.  You can’t pay for it as it’s priceless.

There were times that each of us became emotional, each of howled with laughter and each of us made a prat of ourselves, but would not have missed it for the world.

Today we went to Southwell a small town in Nottinghamshire with the most beautiful Minster which we visited and then had a little shop, lunch then came home and had a BBQ with my other special friend Janet the best neighbour anyone could hope for.  I am lucky.

For most of you, it's probably the same sort of weekend you are all having with loved ones, family and friends.  For me it is now the most precious thing I own  as I am still at the stage that no matter how much I am strong and fight my ‘bastard cancer’ it occupies my brain far more frequently than I would like, it pops into my brain intermittently but is always there.  I cannot help but let the thought of it creep into my mind until I stamp it out and enjoy my present.

On the way home I went to Sainsbury’s and whilst walking around I saw this really frail little old lady.  She was at the dairy section trying to look at the sell by dates that the produce had.  She turned to me and said “I am so sorry to keep you waiting I just want to get the longest dates as I struggle to shop for myself because I have cancer and can’t get out much.”  I told her I was so sorry but I knew what she meant as I had also recently been diagnosed.   She looked at me and said “you are far too young but you need to be strong, you need to be positive, I had it 8 years ago and beat it and I will beat it again and I am 77.”  

Sometimes in life you meet people that inspire you and in that small moment she inspired me.  

So tonight I leave you with an inspirational quote I found a couple of days ago.

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.
I am going to control this. Own it and spit it out for breakfast!  I am reacting well I think!
 

Love Wendy x :)

No comments:

Post a Comment