Wednesday 17 July 2013

Week Two - After Chemo - I'm Not Ill I just have this bastard called cancer invading my space!


Another bloody hot night, up and down, restless, could not sleep much but eventually I awoke to the sound of a thud of mail popping through my door and I thought I would share the eclectic mix mail I received today. 

 
·         Three lovely cards from three of my favourite people Jenny my beautiful step daughter, Jenny’s dad Dave who I spent my 20’s with and Irene Hassel Jo’s lovely neighbour from Chester who is so sweet and kind and was surrogate mum to Rosie and Sophie sausages when jo was in London.

·         Two wigs (absolutely fabulous!) These have definitely replaced shoes and handbags but I have yet to see any hair loss.  However, my hair cannot be treated so I now have black roots or to quote Billy Connolly “Hair like corn growing out of tarmac!”

·         A temporary Tooth filling – my filling dropped out and I cannot go to a dentist under chemo so will have to do it myself courtesy of Amazon tooth filling department (who knew they did that?)

·         A Avon Catalogue – courtesy of Kaye my lovely event manager at work with the strict instructions that orders have to be in by tomorrow

·         A Sample Tenna Lady Pad!? – Clearly heard about the celery story!

·         3 BILLS – NOW THAT’S MORE LIKE IT!  

 

So once again, I feel really well! I had breakfast outdoors with cousin Laurence and we discussed how I was feeling and the impact it has had on people who love me.

 
It’s a weird one because generally I feel really well, I do not have any symptoms either from the cancer or the chemo but people are worried sick about me and treating me with kid gloves.  I think it is because I am further down the road of dealing with the process than everyone else and they are coming to terms with it after me. 

 
I have had the most amazing well wishes from all over the world, from people who I have known for more than 30 years, have worked with, have cycled with, have been to school with and people who have read my blog but don’t even know me, people who I have cried with, laughed with and loved with and it has given me strength and pride and warmth that I have so many people rooting for me.  If I am honest though I feel as though I am cheating everyone as I feel so well that I can’t get my head around this ‘illness’ they keep wishing me better from.  Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining just keep thinking about how well I actually feel.

 

The only symptom I currently have is dry, flaky feet but to be honest, dainty pretty little trotters have never been my thing; I have always had big plates of dry flaky feet!  

 

I know what you are all thinking, its early days, you wait until the 3rd and 4th rounds of chemo then you will understand where we are coming from.  But for now I refuse to acknowledge the list of endless side effects because I do not want to psychosomatically welcome them in any shape or form so at this point I have decided not to have any.  

 
Family, Friends, work colleagues past and present tonight I am going to have a little bit of what I fancy.  A soupcon (a thimble full) of G&T and then raise a toast in your honour of keeping me sane in the last two weeks, keeping my spirit alive and sharing the laughs and the love.

 

Cheers

 

Love Wendy x

No comments:

Post a Comment